If you read my mega-blog about the trip to Thailand, good for you. Here is what I remember from what we did IN Thailand. Next, the trip home. Sit down with a cup o' something warm for these long ones...
*For pictures of Thailand, go here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.855705058709.2165540.66804516&type=1&l=fc9dc6facb
We got to Chiang Mai 5 days before our conference started. During this time, we ate tons of great food--most of it being Thai food, which surprised me. Both Michael and I kept craving the sweet and spicy curries with the aromatic long-grain rice. We didn't mind skipping the over-priced Western restaurants. We still hit up a few of those, but the flavors just didn't match up to the scrumptious Thai food. Best yet, we found our new favorite restaurant, and it was right down the street! We could feast as a family for less than $10, which included 3 entrees and a smoothie to share. Why didn't I take a pic of this place?! It's called Lemongrass if you ever find yourself in Chiang Mai. :)
We had tentatively planned on going to the zoo this time since we haven't been yet. But, the kids didn't do so well adjusting to a new place, so we skipped it. Maybe next year! So, for those 5 days, we just hung out, took lots of walks outside--because we could without freezing!--and met up with friends and former teammates we hadn't seen in a year. It's always so amazing to gather with people who are in the same situation you are. Not to compare, but to understand each other. We also met up with a family who knows my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins. They have lived in CM for 7 years doing ministry for orphans and refugees. It was cool to hear what is going on in their lives and what work the Father is doing there.
When conference started, I was a little nervous at how the boys would react to going to child care for half the day while we were in sessions of fellowship and learning. The first few days, we put Malachi in for the entire morning, which meant he was skipping his nap. He didn't do so well with that. He really likes his morning nap! So, for the rest of the time, we would take turns taking him back to the room for a nap. During some of those "room" times, I had some pretty sweet times with the Father. So great to know He doesn't need anywhere special to meet with and speak to us.
Josiah got sick right before conference started, but not with anything terrible. Just a fever and annoying, dry cough. We kept him out of child care the first day, but felt he was good enough to go the second day. I dropped him off in the room full of 3, 4, and 5 year-olds, and he didn't cry! So proud! I asked him daily if he talked to anyone or made any friends and he said, "no" every time. Haha. I challenged him the last day to make a friend. He came out with 3 names of friends he had met. Good job, little guy!
The boys did the worst at meal times. I don't know if it was different food or too many people. I'm thinking the latter, because once we were tired of hearing wailing through every meal, we finally just ate in our room. Less crying and more eating..yes!
The conference for me was refreshing. It was the first time out of 3 years I got to hear most of what was taught and talked about. And boy, is corporate fellowship something! When it's not available for several months, you really soak it up and learn to appreciate every moment of it.
A couple of the teachings were from Psalm 139 and Romans 8. The Father really spoke to me through a few of those verses, giving me practical advice to speak with wisdom and remember that He knows my every thought. I still need to mull over these some more.
The last day of conference, the kiddos--all of them, including the babies!--got on stage and sang a song. I recorded it, but you can't see our kids. When the 0-5 year-olds lined up, Josiah was in the back. When the music started, he just sat down on the back of the stage--ha! That's my little introvert! (Later, I played the same song and learned that he did know the song and motions! Little stinker!) Malachi spotted me before the song started and bawled through the entire thing. Way to go, kids! :)
The last night of conference, we had a special dressy dinner at a nicer hotel nearby. Apparently a donor gave specifically to fund this dinner. Awesome! It was fun to get dressed up and eat good, Western food. After dinner, there was another concert full of heartfelt singing and wo-ship. Awesome.
The last few days there, we just soaked up more sun with walks and more Thai food, of course! It was tough to leave, knowing we'd be losing 100 degrees. It wasn't the warmest welcome home. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment