Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Malachi is free!

This is more for my own sake, to look back on. But, if you care to read my ramblings..please do.

We finally took the plunge to wean Malachi of the swaddle. He's been a HUGE fan of it. So much so that every time we put him down, he didn't even wimper. If he was fussy and ready to go to bed, as I swaddled him, he would calm down. He loved being wrapped up. But, it needed to come to an end. We have a few, but something is wrong with each one. Too small, too big, or the velcro is too weak to hold him in. Plus, he is rolling over and I suppose it's not so safe if he rolled over while tucked in, forcing him to face plant.

We started with one arm out for 2 days/nights. He was fussy the first day through naps, but not bad at all. After that, I took both arms out, but still wrapped his middle. And socks on his hands. The poor kid still has eczema, and I suppose it's itchy. The other day, I got him up from a nap and he had blood all over his face. Talk about scary! But, I realized it was just because he was scratching at the pesky dryness. Anyway.. The wailing began with both arms out. He did NOT like having both hands free. Mostly because he kept knocking out is pacifier. After trying to calm him a few times, I decided to try putting him on his belly. He was out within a minute. And he's been peaceful ever since.

For now, I'm still wrapping his middle. The heater doesn't work in his room, so we only have a space heater. The swaddle is now acting as a blanket. I hope to ditch it soon when the weather warms up.

Next up: wean from the 3am feeding! (Please, if you've read this far, don't scold me for still feeding him in the middle of the night. I KNOW he's too old for this. I can give you a list of reasons why I haven't yet. Ok, I'm done defending myself.)

EDIT {1 week later}: Well, swaddle-free hasn't been all that glorious. He slept well and normally for the 1st two days. Then he turned into a mess. Of course, it could be something else. Do we ever really know what the issue is the entire first year of a baby's life?! His naps were shorter and he woke up much more during them--like every 20 minutes! Nighttime has been about the same as before. He is currently on hour 2 of his nap. He hasn't done this in a week. Maybe he has figured it out again!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I am so glad you posted this! Ivy also is addicted to the swaddle... we have upgraded to regular grown-up size blankets just to fit her! I really do need to break her from it and I'll have to try what you did.

    I also still feed during the night... like several times each night. I keep telling myself that we are making up from me being gone all day. She needs more "mommy-time." Also she hates all solid foods...so those are my denial reasons. :) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete